The Team at El Mirador de Catarina!

The Team at El Mirador de Catarina!
Granada and Mombacho Volcano in background!

Friday, June 26, 2009

Bryan's Kayak Adventure!

VIDEO

Today I (Bryan) finished classes and decided to Kayak across the Ocean to Isla Chora...
I knew this task would be a difficult one, because I would have to kayak out to sea from the beach...through massive waves. I rented my kayak and walked out to the shoreline where I was quickly visited by a scene from Cast Away where Tom Hanks' character tries to sail away from his deserted Island only to be thrust onto the rocks by the gargantuan swells...

Pushing these unpleasant thoughts away from me I rationalized that the only way to get through the surf would be to time the wave intervals and pounce upon a ripe opportunity...

After 10 minutes of counting wave cycles I seized my moment and rushed out into the surf... once I had beat the first set of waves I jumped into my vessel... and it flipped over spilling my lunch into the sea... I quickly righted the boat and gathered my belongings...In the distance a wave was looming that could nearly break my little boat... I jumped into the kayak and rowed with fury directly at the wave, hoping to clear it before it broke..... I succeeded!

Then I kayaked hard for 40 minutes to Isla Chora where I snorkeled with some Americans and ate my lunch...

It was the same crazy ordeal to get back onto the beach (after I had left the island), but well worth it!


VIDEO

No comments:

Welcome to Our Blog!


Note! I moved many of the pictures to the bottom of the page, under the blog posts!

If you are here to follow Bryan's adventure (after this trip) go to bryanthomasbaker.blogspot.com


The first two weeks of our trip will be spent at the New Hope Children's Foundation in El Crucero, Nicaragua! Here we will blessed to serve at this Christian orphanage and school!
For an idea of what New Hope is all about, please visit this website: http://www.newhopechildrensfoundation.org/

Then we will proceed to the colonial city of Granada, Nicaragua where we will take an intensive spanish program and stay with Nicaraguan families! We will also spend much time in and near Cocibolca (Lake Nicaragua) as well as on the dormant Volcan Mombacho, which towers over the city!

After a week in Granada we will head to Costa Rica, where we will also take intensive spanish courses... and spend much downtime on the BEACH! 

After this fun-filled week some of us will return to the USA, and others will return to New Hope for two more weeks of service...

Then Bryan will be joined by others as he flies down to Lima, Peru... to eventually complete a 7 day trek through the Andes to Machu Picchu!

It will be the summer of a lifetime! Be sure to keep track of our adventures right here!

Starving Children...

Starving Children...
We found and fed these little girls in the jungle today... notice their bloated stomachs... these girls are literally starving...

Katie and Ashley pass out food in the jungle...

Katie and Ashley pass out food in the jungle...

Bryan's Kayak Adventure to Isla Chora

Bryan's Kayak Adventure to Isla Chora

This family of countless children had literally no food in their house...

This family of countless children had literally no food in their house...

A child with one of the beanie babies we brought from home...

A child with one of the beanie babies we brought from home...

Cody is Bananas!

Cody is Bananas!
Cody has finally lived his dream!

Bryan in Lago de Nicaragua... Volcan Mombacho in background!

Bryan in Lago de Nicaragua... Volcan Mombacho in background!

Costa Rica!

Costa Rica!

Playa Samara, Costa Rica

Playa Samara, Costa Rica

The Girls in Granada!

The Girls in Granada!
...from atop a cathedral!

Sharing Some Love...

Sharing Some Love...
Cody and Katie give beanie babies to children in Managua.

Reunion!

Reunion!
best buddies get to see each other after a year!

Crocodile Adventure!

Crocodile Adventure!

The Girls...

The Girls...
at the mirador...

Cody Flies Over Managua...

Cody Flies Over Managua...

Zip Line in Managua!

Playa Carillo, Costa Rica

Playa Carillo, Costa Rica